If you want to increase your influence and impact, practice asking this question for one week: “How can I help you succeed?” I adopted this practice several years ago and encourage my clients to test it as well.
In addition to increasing influence and impact, I typically experience the following results:
- It deepens the conversation and, by extension, the relationship.
- People are typically surprised and appreciative.
- People are generally thoughtful with their request. For example “Hold me accountable for doing x by y date.” vs. “Please do my laundry for a week.”
- It helps people become more reflective and precise with the type of assistance that can help them achieve their goals.
- It begins to set the norm for a more collaborative environment.
Give it a try for 1-week and let me know your results.